Friday, 24 July 2026

Branched Bur Reed in Fused Glass

When I was a child, we lived in Somerset by the river Tone. We were lucky to have the river at the bottom of the garden (not so lucky when it rained heavily!) and I enjoyed summer days rowing a very small boat up and down. The fringing vegetation included Branched Bur Reed and it has always been a favourite of mine and not something I often see in Cumbria. So, when we parked up to go to Saligo Bay on Islay and there was a clump in the roadside ditch there were plenty of photos taken. Immediately after Islay I had a fused glass session booked, so there was my inspiration....it is a trial piece for a larger piece. The larger piece will also include a Beautiful Demoiselle - a type of Damselfly made including lovely reflective dichroic glass. In the meantime here is the trial piece: 

The trial piece and inspiration.

Detail.

In situ...










No comments:

Post a Comment