Thursday, 20 August 2026

Mawbray's Roman Weights

Occasionally, we are lucky enough to find Roman weights on the beach - they may be fishing weights or warp weights and I refer you to Ann Lingard's blog on this for more information click here . Which ever they are, there is always a real buzz when you find one, yet alone two on the same day! Today we were lucky. 

Primarily this was a dog walk, but it soon changed focus....

Looking across the Solway.

Bonkers dog - ours was more restrained!


The first find...it was partly exposed so I dug it out not thinking to take a photo first...

The second find in situ....

Together...

This one was particularly large and unworn. As it was found lower down the beach than normal, I wonder if it has just been sat in the sediment for longer with less exposure to erosion.

And is this a finger print? It certainly fits my thumb nicely and the lines align perfectly with the lines of my thumb print. Who held this last? 

Closer in...

No comments:

Post a Comment