Thursday 22 February 2024

Experiments that may not work...

Yesterday I, apart from the oil painting of Snettersham, I 'played' with four six inch square pieces of board. I like a lot of semi abstracted landscapes that see on Pinterest, and don't often use underpainting, so time experiment....They are based on a muddy creek....

I've put each image in a set of four so I can see how they developed - what I improved and what I over painted and shouldn't have. I quite like some elements and feel if they had a layer of semi gloss varnish and a decent frame, I think I'd say 'I quite like them, but they aren't very good!' ...Now to try and find what I learnt...

Maybe the next stage is to be bold and size up to something big? 

I like the underlying colour here and the contrast of the warm ochre and the mauve-blue. I prefer the second one although it looks unfinished.

I don't like the centred composition, although pehaps the cloud being to the left helps....I don't like the over-printing with the gelli plate that I applied to tone this one down,as I put two much paint on the plate.....hence I had to go over the pastel lines to make  them stand out again.  

I possibly like the second one most, but quite like the geometric shapes in the latter two...do I like the red - well it definitely lifts the pic but perhaps - is it needed? 

I think I actually like the first one best - but it looks unfinished ....ironically this one was of all four, the one I liked least at the beginning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment