Monday 23 October 2023

Libby Edmondson Retrospective: Rheged

A chance to enjy this exibition, this morning, with our local art group. Showcasing 270 paintings, this is what  I would call a 'proper exhibition'; something sadly lacking much of the time in Cumbria. It runs until November 26th. So if you are local pop in! 

A few photographs - and I am still mulling over how these imageds inform my own practice. Some personal thoughts on an excellent exhibition.

Liking the composition here, compared to one of the same view without the posts. 

A view I know well.

Powerful and bold - interesting in the lack of shadows especially for the left hand tree and the lack of detail in the wall...but it works ...and maybe if I want to go larger, a triptych is the answer - I can carry individual panels upstairs when I need to clear the kitchen table to eat - rather than struggle upstairs with a large piece! 

Red underpainting gives warmth and contrast...

..and if I could have taken one picture home, it would be this one of Pavey Ark ..again a view I know well. 

The eye is drawn to the back crags..

I'm not sure if this is the original or the print - the original was  the best - but what I noted was how a flat colour sky made you focus on the far fells and the melting snow lines lead you in to the picture. 

Maybe a way forward for me - going back to those acrylics and oil pastels for working outside... to get a sense of movement. 

I need to revisit Castlerigg to see how, or if, perspective has been tweaked to get the two iconic focusses - the stones and Blencathra - love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment