Friday 27 October 2023

Textile piece experiments...

Right - I have been waiting to have some sort of mental image about a textile piece based on Wedholme Flow to appear...it isn't happening, so it's time to go for it! 

Today I started by dying some fabric - well not really dying it, but printing it because a white piece of paper or fabric is really intimidating! I have a role of museum archive tissue and I had been wondering how it would work for gelli printing. The advantage of the tissue is it can be layered and you can see the underlying image and it's easy to sew through. 

I choose my theme as Molinia grass - which is curly when it dries and the seed heads of Bog Asphodel. 

I cut stencils for both and used Golden Open acrylics and textile medium to print...the tissue was a joy ot work on ...and I also used some sheets of teabag paper that I had for comparison - both lifted good, clear images ...the teabag paper was stiffer. I also printed onto cotton as a base layer ...

Anyway - here are some of the results. The pieces will be combined and manipulated - I just need to work out how! 

Archival tissue paper.

Teabag paper. The skin tone lines are oil pastel.

Tissue.

Printing onto a commercial coloured fabric.

Printing onto a purple fabric.

A compilation.

Now to decide how to work with these prints! 


No comments:

Post a Comment