Monday 8 March 2021

Firecrests and Butterburs

From Tom ...Today, for a break in my coursework, I went down to Founder's pond at university (Royal Holloway) to photograph the giant butterbur. While not a native species, it is still a spectacular plant and closely related to our native butterbur. 

Giant butterbur. 

While photographing the butterbur, my eye was caught by a small bird on the opposite side of the pond. I've seen a lot of goldcrests around campus, with goldcrests frequently appearing outside my bedroom window. I usually check all goldcrests just in case they are firecrests regardless so I tried to get a photo as I didn't have my binoculars with me. 

My first photo.

My first photo was just about clear enough for a positive identification, not quite as bad as my first photograph of yellow wagtail at Staines Res. (-click here-), showing the clear black eye stripe. Firecrests, and goldcrests, are notoriously hard to photograph due to their small size and fast movement in dense vegetation. My second (and only other photo) was luckily far clearer and a respectable record shot.


An unexpected find for me, as well as a lifer- definitely this year's birding highlight so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment