Tuesday 23 November 2021

Abstracting the landscape - Drumburgh I

Finally, some time to myself to carry on with the online 'Abstracting the Landscape' course that I am doing with the Newlyn School of Art. I really enjoyed it and hopefully will work on these field sketches to produce a larger scale piece....these are  the predominantly black and white ones - colour to follow in the next blog. 



The first technique if to lay down a grid of masking tape, ignore it and paint over it with a variety of different black marks....as below. 


You then remove the tape to reveal images that are more dynamic and expressive than they would have been if you painted within a box. 


You can then work infrmed by individual areas to develop further work. 




This one was one I didn't mask as i really liked the technique - especially using heather and rushes as 'brushes' to mark make. 

..and I couldn't resist adding some colour! 




No comments:

Post a Comment