Sunday 16 January 2022

Drumburgh Moss textile piece

It's been a long time since I've allowed myself time to play and do something like this ....

Looking at the pollen and macrofossil record for the Solway Mosses, the depth of the different sediment layers and the general characteristics of Drumburgh I came up with a design for a patchworked and quilted piece called 'Boundaries'. This fits in with a new textile group I have joined called ConText who have set the theme for the year as boundaries and with my residency for Cumbria Wildlife Trust as Artist in Residence. 

Initially I started by printing in acrylic and textile medium, from a gelli plate, using handmade stencils in the shapes of the different pollen grains and macrofossils. These were then over-dyed and then pieced before applying cut out grains and macrofossils. The next step will to decide what quilting to apply and where - this will use  the cell structure of the appropriate species as inspiration. 

To give the piece some unity I have added cranberries falling from the surface vegetation through the different layers but becoming paler as they decay towards the bottom of the piece. 

Hand dyed fabrics - plain.

Acrylic gelli plate fabric printing. 

...and over-dyed.

Pieced together...
..and with the extra pieces added. 






No comments:

Post a Comment