Friday 18 September 2020

Return to Staines Reservoir

 ...and an update from Tom....As the heat has now subsided to low twenties, I returned to Staines reservoir to attempt to get some better photographs of black necked grebe, as well as get a positive ID on a yellow wagtail- which I had almost got on my prior visit- - click here-. Luckily, there was no haze with a good bright light and the grebes showed well- with black necked, great and little grebes all near the causeway.

Black necked grebe.


Black necked grebe diving- a common sight (usually just after I've focused on the bird).


Black necked grebe.

I also managed to spot a group of wagtails on the west side of the reservoir embankment. These were all pied wagtails bar one (potentially two) yellow wagtails that I just about managed to get some photographs of after some fantastic views through the binoculars. Also in the group was a female wheatear.

Yellow wagtail.


Yellow wagtails (and a pied wagtail in the top left).


Also seen on the water were a nice pair of gadwall- a new species for this year as well as the usual tufted duck, coot, mute swans and black headed gulls. Around the reservoir I also had good views of a female kestrel and red kite. 

Little grebe.


Gadwall pair.



No comments:

Post a Comment