Thursday 17 September 2020

Staines Reservoirs and Shortwood Common

After a quick walk on Staines Moor, Tom walked to Staines Reservoir for some birding...... I have now admitted I am a 'birder' as I went with two species in mind- the black necked grebe and yellow wagtail. These were two species I had not seen before in the UK and the reservoir is a known site for both species and they had been seen recently. Sadly the lighting was poor with a significant haze and the effect on the water strangely affected the autofocus. Despite this I had a fantastic day seeing some fantastic birds.

Looking north over the reservoir to large rafts of tufted duck and coot.


I saw two black-necked grebes, one was stupidly far away, but I managed to get one or two photographs despite the bad lighting and got some fantastic views down the binoculars- especially that bright red eye in the sun.


Great crested grebe- there were literally dozens of these impressive birds.


One of a pair of little grebes.


The causeway across the reservoir.



The terrible photograph of a 'likely' yellow wagtail. Found in a mixed flock of wagtails, this individual clearly had a yellow toned back and yellow throat (that can be seen in the photograph) differentiates it from grey wagtail (I think!).


Shortwood pond on Shortwood Common. This old gravel pit was teeming with dragonflies including ruddy darter, red eyed damselfly sp., common blue damselfly and migrant hawkers.


Ruddy darter.


No comments:

Post a Comment