Friday 27 August 2021

Willow Emerald Damselflies

From tom: On my last visit to the Egham ponds, I had noticed a large emerald damselfly high up in the willow canopy but failed to get a photograph- could this be the willow emerald? I returned to find out. 

The willow emerald is recent colonist to the UK. One of four UK emerald damselfly species, it first became established in Suffolk and Norfolk in 2009, and is new to me. 

Ruddy darter. Also seen were a few migrant hawkers (the brown hawkers weren't flying), common blue damselflies and a few red-eyed damselfly sp. 

A willow emerald damselfly doing what willow emeralds do- sitting awkwardly high up in willow canopy.


Note the small pale-green spur colouration on the thorax differentiating the species from the common emerald.


My favourite photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment