Thursday 11 April 2024

Soundscape development...

After having practised pulling threads click here and played around with seams etc - I went on to make my final piece based on the sounds of wind and rain on Weholme Flow.. ..but it's not my final piece as I want to go 'big'on this piece. I have also just been on and eco-dying workshop and discussed the use of peat for dying - but that's another story and I need to decide what I am doing! 

So here is my piece - basically the holes relate to the rain drops - but the wind can blow through them...the pulled threads are the wind resonating across the moss. The base is a peaty brown and the top a stormy sky. I think I have decided how to display this piece, as the holes need to be hung so that shadows are made ....but I haven't got round to that yet. 

A plan ....

Piecing ....

Painted with watercolour ...the middle row pieces are a linen scrim which is easy to pull threads from ...unless you paint it, but I wanted to paint it so that the panels linked in colour as much as possible. The top and bottom row are linen - quite tightly woven, so easier to make holes in. 

The back of the piece ...

Finished ..I'll trim the bottom right bit....before I decide how to finally mount/frame/hang this. Interestingly, the linen scrim takes the watercolour paint differently depending on it's orientation - so the warp and weft are clearly slightly different in composition. Luckily for me, I only rotated the middle panel so it was balanced...look at the difference in the coloured threads in the pulled section.

Details ..and below - the white circles are holes...



 #fibreartstaketwo #debbielyddon #sensingplace


No comments:

Post a Comment