Monday 1 April 2024

Ice in Glass (1)

This has been a while in development, but I'm really pleased with it!

I am very lucky in that Roxy of RD Glass, lets me work along side her and fires my glass for me,  as I don't have a range of glass of glass or a kiln - I can not thank her enough for her support and would recommend her workshops very highly! Thanks Roxy! 

 Using the photograph below, I wanted to create something similar in glass. 


The first thing I did was make a model of my idea...

Well I knew what it was! 

In a previous blog click here I showed how I had incorporated wire into a fused glass piece. So I thought about using wire to create the frosted grasses. The first problem is glass doesn't fuse to wire, so I used kiln paper to create a trough that I filled with frit (small glass pieces) that I could lay wire in, and then cover the wire ...this would hopefully give me frosted grass...

I had measured the width of the arched grasses from my plan so that they would fit where I wanted ... 

Next to create the base. I used clear glass and cut and arranged a range of glass...Some non-frosty wires were included by way of contrast - these had to be anchored with a loop under opaque glass. Frit was also added to the base as bits of fallen frost. 


I also included some wire laid flat on the glass - this had to be anchored by clear glass, so other random bits of clear glass were added elsewhere for balance. 

The base was then fused....as were the frosted grasses .....I think the result and the method of putting this together deserves another blog ...




No comments:

Post a Comment